This simple lentil pasta recipe is a satisfying, comforting vegetarian meal. A wealthy tomato and lentil sauce coats chewy ribbons of al dente pasta.
Okay, pasta lovers, you want this lentil pasta recipe in your winter rotation! It’s budget-friendly, simple to make, and comforting in the way in which that solely pasta with purple sauce will be.
Although this lentil pasta recipe is filled with Italian flavors (marinara! balsamic! Parmesan!), it’s not a tackle any particular Italian pasta dish. Reasonably, it’s one thing I like to cook dinner after I desire a hearty, flavorful pasta dinner, however I don’t need to go to the shop or spend hours within the kitchen. This lentil pasta recipe comes along with fundamental pantry elements, and you may have it on the desk in proper round half-hour. I feel you’re going to adore it!
Lentil Pasta Recipe Elements
Right here’s what you’ll have to make this lentil pasta recipe:
- Lentils, after all! They pack this pasta with vitamins like fiber and plant-based protein. I like to make use of French inexperienced lentils for this recipe as a result of they preserve a pleasant chunk when cooked. In a pinch, common inexperienced or brown lentils will work right here too. DON’T sub purple lentils–their texture is simply too gentle and mushy for this recipe.
- Pasta – Pappardelle is my noodle of selection. I really like the broad, chewy ribbons within the hearty lentil pasta sauce. When you can’t discover it, tagliatelle is a good sub. Or, in case you’re vegan, and it’s good to use egg-free pasta, swap in fettuccine or linguine. Gluten-free? Use your favourite gluten-free pasta!
- Onion, carrots, and garlic – They create the sauce’s flavorful base.
- Cremini mushrooms – For wealthy, savory complexity.
- Tamari and balsamic vinegar – They carry out the mushrooms’ umami taste.
- Additional-virgin olive oil – For sautéing the veggies.
- Marinara sauce – I wish to make my very own with easy elements like crushed tomatoes, dried oregano, garlic, and purple pepper flakes. In a pinch, store-bought works too.
- Parmesan cheese – For topping the pasta. It provides nutty, salty richness to the ultimate dish. When you’re vegan, use my vegan Parmesan cheese as an alternative!
- Recent parsley – Sprinkle it over the pasta for a contemporary, vibrant end!
- And salt and pepper – To make all of the flavors pop!
Discover the entire recipe with measurements under.
How one can Make Lentil Pasta
This lentil pasta recipe is so easy to make! Listed below are a pair tricks to make it particularly fast and simple:
- Use pre-made marinara. As a lot as I like to make my marinara sauce from scratch, doing so provides an entire half-hour to this recipe…NOT what I need on a busy weeknight. If I’m fortunate, I’ll have some leftover marinara readily available within the freezer, but when I don’t, I take advantage of store-bought right here. Rao’s is my favourite model. It makes this recipe tremendous flavorful and amazingly quick!
- Preserve cooked lentils readily available within the freezer. They’ll come in useful not just for this lentil pasta recipe, however for grain bowls and salads as effectively! When you don’t have cooked lentils useful, begin this recipe by cooking 1/2 cup dry lentils based on this directions on this put up.
With these elements prepared, the remainder of the recipe is easy:
Begin by cooking the pasta in a big pot of salted boiling water. When the pasta is al dente, drain it and toss it with slightly olive oil to forestall sticking.
Subsequent, sauté the veggies. Warmth the olive oil in a big skillet over medium warmth. Add the onion and carrot and cook dinner, stirring often, till they soften, 5 to eight minutes. Then, add the mushrooms, garlic, salt, and pepper, and cook dinner till the mushrooms are tender, one other 5 to eight minutes.
Add the remaining sauce elements and simmer. Stir within the balsamic and tamari, adopted by the lentils and marinara. Cook dinner, stirring, till the sauce is effectively mixed and heated by way of, 2 minutes or so.
Lastly, combine within the pasta. Add it to the skillet and toss to coat within the sauce. Season to style…
…and serve with parsley and Parmesan cheese!
What to Serve with Lentil Pasta
We frequently take pleasure in this lentil pasta recipe for dinner by itself. However, in case you’re craving a bigger meal, you’re in luck! It pairs completely with all kinds of aspect dishes. Lean into the consolation meals issue and serve it with garlic bread or focaccia, or add some colour to your plate with a veggie aspect dish. It will go properly with any of those:
Take pleasure in!
Extra Simple Pasta Recipes
When you love this lentil pasta, strive considered one of these simple pasta dishes subsequent:
This simple lentil pasta recipe is a hearty, scrumptious vegetarian dinner! A flavorful tomato and lentil sauce coats chewy ribbons of al dente pasta.
- 10 ounces pappardelle pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, stemmed and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly floor black pepper
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon tamari
- 1½ cups cooked inexperienced or French inexperienced lentils, from ½ cup dry
- 24 ounces marinara sauce
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese or vegan Parmesan, for serving
- Recent parsley, for garnish
Convey a big pot of salted water to a boil and put together the pasta based on the bundle directions, cooking till al dente. Drain and toss with a drizzle of olive oil to forestall sticking. Put aside.
Warmth the olive oil in a big skillet over medium warmth. Add the onion and carrot and cook dinner, stirring often, for five to eight minutes, or till softened. Add the mushrooms, garlic, salt, and several other grinds of pepper and cook dinner for one more 5 to eight minutes, stirring often, or till the mushrooms are tender.
Stir within the balsamic and tamari, then add the lentils and marinara. Cook dinner, stirring, for two minutes, or till the sauce is well-combined and heated by way of.
Add the pasta to the skillet and toss to mix. Portion onto plates and serve with Parmesan and contemporary parsley for garnish.