This sausage stuffing recipe ready with Italian sausage, kale, and provolone cheese is an excellent mixture of savory, hearty, and tacky. It’s the proper solution to combine up your conventional stuffing routine.
This Italian sausage stuffing goes manner again in my household. It’s a beautiful recipe for these of you trying to break away from extra conventional choices. Stale bread cubes combined with onions, celery, garlic, and completely browned Italian sausage take in the flavors of festive, savory herbs. Including tomato paste and wilted kale offers this heartwarming facet a Tuscan twist that I simply can’t get sufficient of, however the true kicker is the smattering of melted provolone cheese all through. It’s a deal with!
Why We Love This Sausage Stuffing
- Not your typical stuffing. As a lot as I like my traditional Conventional Stuffing Recipe, that is such a enjoyable break from the norm.
- Versatile. It’s to swap elements out and in of this recipe to make it your personal. Attempt a unique cheese. Experiment with candy, delicate, or spicy sausage. Swap kale out for a unique inexperienced. Be at liberty to get inventive!
- Make-ahead magic. Holidays can get hectic, and it’s nice to have a dish or two you may make forward of time to attenuate the stress the day of. That is one among them.
Substances For Sausage Stuffing
- Stale white bread – I exploit white bread because it simply soaks up all of the flavors that you simply add to it.
- Veggies – Yellow onions, celery, and garlic.
- Gentle or scorching Italian sausage – You should definitely take away the casings earlier than browning.
- Paprika – Candy or smoked will work.
- Tomato paste
- Herbs and seasoning – Dried thyme, dried rosemary, dried sage, salt and pepper.
- Kale – Spinach, chard, or collard greens would additionally do the trick.
- Low-sodium hen broth – You would use beef broth as an alternative.
- Contemporary parsley
- Cubed provolone cheese – Muenster is a good substitute for Provolone cheese right here. Swiss cheese or mozzarella would additionally do the trick.
The best way to Make Sausage Stuffing
- Prep. Preheat oven to 375°F and grease a 3-quart baking dish with butter.
- Saute the veggies. Soften butter over medium-high warmth in a Dutch oven. Add the onions and celery and saute for a few minutes.
- Brown the sausage. Add the garlic, sausage, and paprika. Prepare dinner the meat till browned and cooked by way of, breaking it up as you go. Stir in tomato paste, herbs, salt, and pepper. Stir within the kale and cook dinner till softened.
- Add liquid. Stir within the broth, convey it to a simmer, and take away from the warmth.
- Put all of it collectively. Whisk collectively the eggs and parsley in a big mixing bowl, add the bread cubes and the sausage combination, and stir to mix. Stir within the cheese.
- Bake. Switch the stuffing to the ready baking pan and scatter the remaining butter excessive. Bake for half-hour coated and 20 minutes uncovered.
- Select the appropriate bread. This stuffing has a lot occurring by way of taste. You wish to select a reasonably impartial bread that can take in the entire flavors and allow them to shine. I have a tendency towards plain white bread however be happy to experiment.
- Dry bread cubes. It is likely to be tempting to disregard the “stale” within the “stale bread cubes” however you’ll be sorry when you do. Utilizing bread cubes that aren’t stale will finish you with soggy, mushy stuffing. Pop them within the oven at 350°F for ~12-Quarter-hour to dry out when you don’t have stale bread available.
- Low sodium. I extremely advocate utilizing low-sodium broth right here. You wish to permit your self the chance to regulate the seasoning of the general dish to your liking. As a result of the sausage on this recipe inevitably brings a variety of flavors to the desk, selecting a low-sodium broth will enable you take again that management.
- Be light. When combining the bread cubes, sausage/broth combination, and eggs, you wish to combine simply till every thing is mixed. Overworking the combination will trigger the bread cubes to interrupt aside and turn out to be mushy.
How To Put together Sausage Stuffing In Advance
Unfold the stuffing right into a baking dish and, as an alternative of baking it, permit it to chill, cowl it tightly with plastic wrap, and maintain it within the fridge as much as 1 day prematurely. When the time comes, take away it from the fridge and let it sit at room temperature for 20 minutes earlier than baking it simply as you usually would.
Take pleasure in this stuffing alongside a festive most important resembling my Bacon Spatchcock Turkey or my well-known Prime Rib.
The best way to Retailer & Reheat Leftovers
- To retailer. As soon as the stuffing has cooled utterly, cowl it tightly with a double layer of plastic wrap or seal it in an hermetic container. Sausage stuffing will maintain within the fridge for as much as 4 days or within the freezer for as much as 3 months.
- To reheat. Enable the stuffing to thaw within the fridge (if relevant) earlier than baking, coated with aluminum foil, at 350°F for half-hour after which uncovered for one more 10 minutes.
Vacation Facet Dish Concepts
Don’t let this magnificent stuffing hang around alone. Pair it with one or two or the entire following vacation sides.
- 1 pound stale white bread, cubed
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided, plus extra for baking dish
- 2 small yellow onions, diced
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound delicate or scorching Italian sausage, casings eliminated
- ½ tablespoon candy or smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon dried sage
- salt and recent floor black pepper, to style
- 1 bunch kale, stems eliminated, chopped (1 bunch simply refers to how a lot you possibly can seize in a single hand)
- 3 cups low sodium hen broth or beef broth
- 2 giant eggs
- ¼ cup chopped recent parsley
- 1 cup cubed provolone cheese
Preheat oven to 375˚F. Butter a 3-quart baking dish and put aside.
In a Dutch oven, soften 4 tablespoons butter over medium-high warmth. Add onions and celery and cook dinner for two minutes.
Add garlic and stir within the sausage and paprika; cook dinner, breaking apart the meat with a picket spoon for about 6 minutes, or till cooked by way of and browned.
Stir in tomato paste and season with thyme, rosemary, sage, salt, and pepper. Add the kale and cook dinner for 3 minutes or till softened. Add the broth and produce to a simmer; take away from warmth and put aside.
In a big mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and parsley. Add within the ready bread cubes and the sausage combination; stir to mix. Stir within the cheese.
Switch to the baking dish.
Chop the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter into a number of items and dot over the stuffing.
Cowl with foil and bake for half-hour.
Take away foil and proceed to bake for 20 minutes, or till golden brown.
Take away from oven and serve.
- Bread cubes: I virtually at all times select plain, sliced white bread because it simply soaks up all the good flavors that you simply add to it. For those who determine to make your personal bread cubes, I counsel baking/drying them at 350˚F for Quarter-hour however begin checking at 12 minutes.
- To Make Forward: Put together this dish someday forward, however don’t bake it. Cowl the baking dish and set it within the fridge in a single day. When able to bake it, take it out of the fridge and let it stand for 20 minutes on the counter to convey it near room temperature. Bake and serve heat.
- If you don’t want to make use of kale, strive it with spinach or different hearty greens, like chard or collard greens.
- Muenster is a superb substitute for Provolone cheese. Swiss cheese is nice, too, and you may at all times use mozzarella.
Energy: 491 kcal | Carbohydrates: 35 g | Protein: 23 g | Fats: 28 g | Saturated Fats: 13 g | Ldl cholesterol: 115 mg | Sodium: 628 mg | Potassium: 579 mg | Fiber: 2 g | Sugar: 5 g | Vitamin A: 2615 IU | Vitamin C: 26.2 mg | Calcium: 339 mg | Iron: 3.8 mg
Dietary information is an estimate and supplied as courtesy. Values could differ in response to the elements and instruments used. Please use your most well-liked dietary calculator for extra detailed information.